The Best Instant Read Digital Thermometer In 2017
For a great cook or chef, knowing the temperature of the food you're preparing is essential to the quality of the meal. Therefore, you will need to invest in a decent thermometer, which will help you to measure the temperature of the food you're at any time during the cooking, standing and serving process. An instant read digital thermometer is perfect for the task.
Besides measuring temperatures accurately, the thermometer must be able to withstand its environment. This means it must to be of very high quality in order to give years of service.
To start you off, here is a review of the best instant read digital thermometers that every chef or serious cook should invest in this year.
The Best Instant Read Thermometer In 2017 - Comparison
#1 - GDEALER Instant Read Thermometer - Our Choice
The GDEALER Instant Read Thermometer is the best in its category, in our opinion.
While it isn't the cheapest, it is very reasonably priced.
Features of this model such as ℉/℃ selection, are found on most thermometers of this type.
What sets this one apart is a combination of the following:
- Intelligent design features, such as auto-shut-off if it hasn't been used for 10 minutes
- Accuracy is extremely good for this price point
- A reputation for good customer service, in the event of any problem
- Despite a reasonable price, this thermometer feels well made and solid
Accuracy is quoted by the manufacturer as ± 0.1℉ (between -4F to 392F, which in reality should cover all of your cooking needs). We don't believe this is the real accuracy of a consumer-grade thermometer at a low price point; it seems more likely this is the resolution of the thermometer (i.e. the minimum "step" it can show is plus or minus 0.1 of a degree). However, it does seem to be extremely accurate, and one user stated it was more accurate than another thermometer she owned which cost almost 10x the price of this one.
The LCD display is large and easy to read (though it isn't backlit, as some more expensive models are). The display will "hold" the last measured temperature until you press the read button again.
The temperature probe folds away, and you can stick this thermometer to a fridge, stainless steel splashback, or any other metallic surface, as it has a built-in magnet.
It takes 1x AAA battery, which is supplied with the thermometer.
This instant read thermometer comes with a 6 month warranty from the manufacturer.
One of the most common complaints with so-called "Instant Read" thermometers is that they are not actually instant. In solids such as meat, it typically takes around 5 seconds for the reading to stabilise. In liquids, it's more like 10-20 seconds. Unfortunately this is caused by the laws of physics and the design of these thermometers - we haven't tested any that respond faster than this.
The foldable clip can be problematic for some users - it doesn't tend to unfold completely unless you really pull it out, making it difficult to do one-handed.
The included cooking temperature guide has come in for some criticism, many users saying that the temperatures and cooking times shown are not accurate.
WE DON'T LIKE:
#2 - Habor Instant Read Meat Thermometer
- There is no auto-shut-off facility, you have to remember to switch off each time
- It can be quite slow to respond compared to some other thermometers
- The maximum temperature (392°F) is lower than the GDEALER thermometer.
However, it is reasonably priced, and may be a decent alternative if the GDEALER model is out of stock.
It uses a watch-style battery which is supplied with the thermometer.
- SUPER FAST Instant Read！Habor meat thermometers can read temperature out in 4-6 seconds.No worry overcook again!
- MORE ACCURATE: Habor Digital Kitchen Thermometers has Sensitive Sensor Chip and Thin Probe Tip,which control error range ±1.8℉.This is a very excellent performance!
- VERY USEFUL MEAT TEMP CHART: Habor Grill Thermometers print meat temperature chart on the backside.You can refer to it easily and handily when BBQ or cooking.
#3 - CDN DTQ450X Digital Instant-Read Thermometer
The manufacturer recommends the DTQ450X for poultry, fish and thinly cut meats.
Its compact size allows you to carry it around easily in your pocket or a small bag.
The temperature range is -40 to 450°F.
Unlike some other thermometers in this price range, you can calibrate the DTQ450X at home, using a container full of iced water.
Like the GDEALER thermometer, there is a hold function, to display the last measured temperature until you request another measurement.
This thermometer uses a watch-style battery, which is included.
It is NSF certified (NSF is an independent certifying body that tests and certifies products to ensure they meet public health and safety standards)
The plastic body of the thermometer has a special coating which is claimed to reduce the growth of harmful bacteria etc. on the surface (though you do still need to be keep it clean).
- Pocket-sized quick-read thermometer that's great for measuring temp in thin cuts of meat, fish or poultry
- 5-inch stainless steel stem can get a reading in 6-8 seconds; stainless steel housing surrounding the digital readout
- Large-digit readout, data-hold capabilities, 10-minute auto-off, plastic sheath with pen clip
#4 - Taylor Commercial Waterproof Digital Thermometer
With a watch battery that can be turned on and off easily, the Taylor Commercial Waterproof Digital Thermometer can read temperatures of between -40 to 450°F.
You can increase the battery life by switching it off when not in use.
The thermometer comes with an antibacterial storage unit that doubles up as the carrying sleeve.
The waterproof unit has an LCD read out area situated on the one inch dial ensures ease of temperature reading.
It is NSF listed and you can use it for commercial purposes.
This model is 5-3/4 inches, and it comes with a one year warranty.
- Simple functioning display shows temperatures in degrees F/degrees C
- Temperature range -40 degrees F to 450 degrees F and -40 degrees C to 230 degreees C
- Easy to read 0.8" display can be seen from almost any angle
#5 - Helect H1021 Instant Read Digital Thermometer
This thermometer has auto-shut-off and data hold functions.
The large LCD display is easy to read.
One criticism of the H1021 is that there is only one button for all its functions - the manufacturer has done this to make it simple to operate, but it does mean that any set-up you want to do becomes complicated, especially if you lose the instructions.
Helect back this thermometer with a lifetime warranty.
- Instant Reading: takes a temperature in 4-7 seconds. Great for cooking, bbq, grill, beverages, and baking, indoors and outdoors.
- Accurate Reading: accurate to ± 1°F, one button design with large LCD screen display with temperature range of -30°C to 300°C/ -22°F to 572°F.
- Safe and Easy: 5.9" probe keeps hands safe while measuring. Press the On/Off button 3 times to switch between °C and °F. Features data hold, max/min measuring, and auto shut-off functions....
Do you own any of the instant read thermometers mentioned here? Did you choose a different one? Let us know in the comments!